Vancouver Inter-Cultural Orchestra & Sound of Dragon Society present
Sunday, Feb. 11, 2018 @ 3:30 pm The Orpheum Annex, Vancouver
823 Seymour St. (2nd Level)
Tickets $30 / $19.99 / $15 on sale now Click here for tickets
The Vancouver Inter-Cultural Orchestra is pleased to join Sound of Dragon Society in co-presenting this unique chamber concert, featuring cellist Bo Peng and his octet Cellissimo, Lan Tung (erhu), and the talented young string players of the Richmond Delta Youth Orchestra, conducted by Jonathan Der.
The repertoire will include:
- Goldfish by Mark Armanini, a piece for erhu and strings that evokes a classical Chinese painting of a goldfish swimming in a pond – graceful, serene, a beautiful fusion of traditional and contemporary sounds
- Ziggurat no. 2 by Farshid Samandari, for 8 celli – an eccentric soundscape that grows in terraced levels like the ancient stone structure after which it is named
- Flower Bloom & Fall by Bruce Bai, a piece developed through the VICO’s Sounds Global Composers’ workshop in 2015 that was originally a song, now developed into a polyphonic work, examining themes of life and death
- Bachianas Brasileiras no. 1 by Hector Villa-Lobos, the first in this famous Brazilian composer’s series of works for cello octet, in which he drew parallels between traditional Brazilian melodies and those of Johann Sebastian Bach
- Two pieces by Lan Tung: Double Happiness, a duet for erhu and cello in which the two instruments echo each other in an intricate dialogue that develops into
improvisation; and From the Stars, a piece for erhu, voice and cello octet that explores the percussive sounds of the cello
VICO and Sound of Dragon Society share a drive to celebrate diversity and showcase the boundless creative potential that comes out of interactions between musicians and composers of varying ethnic and musical backgrounds. We are excited to collaborate with Bo Peng, conductor Jonathan Der, and the talented young musicians of Cellissimo and Richmond Delta Youth Orchestra on a concert that highlights this evolving new musical landscape.