Our musicians and conductors worked incredibly hard to create a variety of virtual performance projects, and we are excited to share them with you! Check out all of our ensemble videos below and we look forward to bringing you live performances again soon.
Come join your conductor and ensemble peers online this Saturday, April 4th for the first RDYO Zoom meeting! Intermediate Strings will be online from 10:30am-11:15am. We hope to see you then.
The link to access and password have been emailed to you. Please use a recognizable name as your username so that you can be admitted to the online chat. If you did not receive the login information, please email email@example.com.
Due to concerns regarding COVID-19, our annual scholarship competition is going online! The deadline to submit the online application and video audition is now April 22nd, 2020.
Online application: https://forms.gle/DZ5eknKkMh37VL3cA
Video audition guidelines: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SLZWAJ6Kj3nLLlrZJhNKM5zhSJM8aroo/view?usp=sharing
Intermediate Strings Audition repertoire:
– One polished piece of your choosing
– Orchestral excerpts (as outlined below)
With the constantly changing health situation in BC and Canada, RDYO board of directors and staff have made the decision to cancel rehearsals for all ensembles until further notice. Our concern right now is the safety and health of our musicians and families, and although our ensembles fall within the current group guidelines, we are following the school districts and City of Richmond in their closures as well. In line with BC’s ban on gatherings of more than 50 people, we are also cancelling our April and May concerts. We recognize how disappointing this will be to our musicians, our conductors, and all our families.
Our president, Sarah, emailed families on Monday, March 16th with an update, and it has come to my attention that not all families received this email. As the situation continues to change, we will send at least weekly emails to maintain communication with our families. I am looking into the issue with our email lists, but please check our website for up to date information as well (under the MyRDYO tabs).
Regarding our annual Scholarship Competition, we are planning to go forward with it in an online format! I will be sending out instructions regarding making a video audition, and how to upload it, as well as the required excerpts by Monday, March 23. We look forward to this new format, and being able to connect with our musicians in this way. Our conductors are also working on other ideas for connecting online while maintaining our social distance. Stay tuned!
Decisions about our end of season plans and final concert will be announced as soon as we can.
As always, if you have any questions or concerns regarding anything in this email, or something I haven’t addressed, please do not hesitate to contact Robert at firstname.lastname@example.org or Nadia at email@example.com.
After checking the weather reports and road conditions, rehearsals will continue as scheduled today. If you are still uncertain about making it to rehearsals safely, please let your division manager know you will be absent. Please take your time driving to rehearsal today, and we look forward to seeing you all!
Please bring a friend to rehearsal!
Any concerns can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
- We are busy preparing for our annual Music Development Camp at Camp Stillwood from October 11-13.
- If you want to take the bus, please ensure you bring the $35 payment to the admin table at Brighouse United Church on Saturday from 9am-2pm. This guarantees your ride to camp!
- Please submit your consent forms to the admin table at BUC or via email to email@example.com
- The schedule and packing list will be sent out later this week.
- A few more volunteer tasks to assist with camp have also been posted. Please sign up!
- If you have any questions about camp, please do not hesitate to contact Robert or Nadia.
- Our new shipment of purple t-shirts arrived! They are $11 each, and can be purchased from the admin table at BUC on Saturday from 9am-2pm.
- All camp attendees will need a purple t-shirt for the final concert
- All ensembles will need this shirt for outreach concerts throughout the year
- If you purchased the ticket package as part of your registration this year, please come to the admin table at BUC to pick up your voucher. This voucher will allow you to pick up your tickets throughout the year.
- Our annual concerto competition is open for registrations. The deadline to apply is October 15th! Policies and more details can be found here: Concerto Competition Application 2019/20
Welcome to a new year with the Richmond Delta Youth Orchestra. We hope you have enjoyed a smooth return to school and are ready for Orchestra rehearsals to resume this Saturday, September 14th. We are thrilled to have your family as part of our orchestra community this year.
Thank you to all the parents who attended our AGM, parent information session and parent social last Saturday. If you missed the meeting, please continue to check the website for updates, and a copy of the presentation. You can refer to the calendar on our site for all upcoming rehearsals/events.
We are preparing for another great year, and I have a couple of items to share with you before the season begins.
Our first rehearsal is this Saturday, September 14th. Please check the list below to confirm your rehearsal time and location.
|Symphony Orchestra||9:30 am – 12:00 pm||BUC Murdoch Hall|
|Senior Strings *||9:30 am – 11:45 pm||Performance Hall (Richmond Cultural Centre)|
|Intermediate Strings *||9:30 am – 11:15 am||Richmond Cultural Centre Atrium|
|Junior Strings||12:30 pm – 2:00 pm||BUC CE Bldg. – East|
|Senior Winds||12:30 pm – 2:00 pm||BUC Sanctuary|
|Junior Winds||12:30 pm – 2:00 pm||BUC Murdoch Hall|
|Chamber Ensembles||12:30 pm – 1:30pm||BUC Murdoch Hall Meeting Room|
*Intermediate and Senior Strings rehearsal locations will vary from week to week. Please check the Google calendar weekly to confirm your location. https://www.rdyo.ca/calendar/schedule/. Please also bring a music stand with your name and division on it to your rehearsals. (Only Intermediate and Senior Strings musicians)
Please review the RDYO Family Handbook and Membership Commitments documents, which can both be found on the students webpage. Please read this document and let me know if you have any questions. After reading it, please sign the final page of the Membership Commitments document and give it to your division manager before the end of September.
- We are still looking for volunteers for Division Manager for the following positions: Junior Strings and Senior Strings. Please let me know if you are able to fill this role, as our ensembles cannot run smoothly without it. Two people can take on the role if we hear from parents who would rather share the role.
- We are also looking for assistance with processing registrations on Saturday mornings and afternoons for the next few weeks. (Preferably someone who speaks Mandarin to help with translations.) Please respond to this email if you are willing to help out and please fill out your availability on this volunteer task sign-up form.
- Are you interested in helping with the RDYO library this year? We are looking for a volunteer from each division to assist in photocopying and collecting music for that ensemble. Please let me know if this interests you and I can send you additional details.
I look forward to seeing you on Saturday!
A few dates to add to your calendars before the year begins:
- RDYO AGM and Parent Social: Saturday, September 7, 2019 @ 10:00am
- We will be sharing a lot of important information about the upcoming season, as well as electing the new Board of Directors. We have several vacancies on the board, and we are always excited to have new parents join us at the table.
- Families who attend the AGM will receive one hour of volunteer credit. Board members fulfill all their volunteer hours by serving on the Board (although most Board members put in many additional hours of work behind the scenes).
- First rehearsal: Saturday, September 14, 2019
- Please check the RDYO Google Calendar to confirm your rehearsal location/time as well as markdown important dates (concerts, events, etc.) for the season
- Music Development Camp: Friday, October 11 to Sunday, October 13, 2019
- We are once again heading to Camp Stillwood over the Thanksgiving weekend! Look for a sign-up form in September, as you don’t want to miss one of the highlights of our year.
- RDYO Concerto Competition: Sunday, November 3, 2019
- Begin preparing your solo works for our annual RDYO concerto competition. Time and location will be released soon!