We hold most auditions in June and September, and also accept new students throughout the season. Auditions are currently by video only.
Interested in joining mid-year? Please follow these steps:
- Contact our administrator Janie at firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss your audition.
- Record and upload your audition video to YouTube. Video Guidelines
- Fill out the Application to Audition, and include your video.
- Pay the $20 audition fee using the PayPal link below, or by mailing a cheque to: Richmond Delta Youth Orchestra, PO Box 26064 Paulik Park PO, Richmond, BC, V6Y 3V3.
- After you receive your acceptance and division placement, Register for RDYO.
Please pay your $20 audition fee here:
Why play with RDYO?
- Performance opportunities throughout Metro Vancouver
- Networking with professional musicians
- Workshops and master classes
- Bursaries for those in need
- Concerto competition
- Scholarship competition
- Opportunity to meet other youth who share your passion for music
Selecting an Ensemble
Conductors will consider age, maturity level, and previous ensemble experience when assigning musicians to a division; the age and grade levels noted are guidelines online. Each divisions minimum musicianship levels are based on Royal Conservatory of Music (RCM) grade levels. Orchestra members are not required to participate in RCM examinations, but should consult their music teacher to confirm their level. For more information on the audition process, please consult our FAQ.
Beginner Violin Program (Suspended due to COVID-19)
Are you interested in trying out violin lessons for your child? The City of Richmond’s Arts Centre offers violin lessons for children in group, semi-private, and private formats. Professional instructors are provided by the Richmond Delta Youth Orchestra, ensuring a warm and friendly environment. Lessons include a program of technical study (scales and studies), repertoire, and basic music theory. Students who successfully complete these levels are eligible to audition for RDYO’s Junior Strings Division. More: https://www.richmond.ca/culture/about/guide.htm