We are very interested for you to join us! We hold most auditions in June and September, and also accept new students throughout the season. If you are interested in joining, please read the following:
Interested in Auditioning?
We will be holding online video recordings for audition submissions. The deadline for our next round of video submissions is Friday January 6th, 2023
Please do not send your video auditions to our conductors. Submit the following details to our administrative staff at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please follow these steps:
- Read through the audition requirements (listed on the right) and materials before recording yourself. Once you have practiced the materials, please record yourself in one clip. You will then need to upload the video on to YouTube and publish the video as an unlisted video. In your email, please include the following:
- Answer the these questions in your email:
- Full Name
- Division auditioning for
- Level of playing (if applicable)
- How many years of playing your instrument
- Years of orchestral playing (How many years of playing within an ensemble)
- What is in your audition video
- Link to your audition video
- Parent email for Paypal invoice to be sent to for $20 New player audition fee
- After you receive your acceptance and division placement, you will be contacted to proceed with registration and to welcome you to RDYO!
Why play with RDYO?
- Performance opportunities throughout Metro Vancouver
- Networking with professional musicians
- Workshops and master classes
- Bursaries for those in need
- Concerto competition
- Scholarship competition
- Opportunity to meet other youth who share your passion for music
Selecting an Ensemble
Conductors will consider age, maturity level, and previous ensemble experience when assigning musicians to a division; the age and grade levels noted are guidelines online. Each divisions minimum musicianship levels are based on Royal Conservatory of Music (RCM) grade levels. Orchestra members are not required to participate in RCM examinations, but should consult their music teacher to confirm their level. For more information on the audition process, please consult our FAQ.
Beginner Violin Program (Suspended due to COVID-19)
Are you interested in trying out violin lessons for your child? The City of Richmond’s Arts Centre offers violin lessons for children in group, semi-private, and private formats. Professional instructors are provided by the Richmond Delta Youth Orchestra, ensuring a warm and friendly environment. Lessons include a program of technical study (scales and studies), repertoire, and basic music theory. Students who successfully complete these levels are eligible to audition for RDYO’s Junior Strings Division. More: https://www.richmond.ca/culture/about/guide.htm