Welcome To The Richmond Delta Youth Orchestra
The Richmond Delta Youth Orchestra was formed and registered as a non-profit Society in 1971 by five music loving Delta citizens: Harry Gomez, Fred Preuss, Charles Glushka, Anita Sleeman, and Aileen Docherty.
Under the musical direction of Mr. Harry Gomez, a well-known music teacher and conductor of youth orchestras, the orchestra started in 1971 with 36 players.
Over the course of the last 40 years the orchestra has continued and in spring 2013 we changed our name to the Richmond Delta Youth Orchestra to reflect the growing membership from the City of Richmond. In September 2014 we moved all our rehearsals to Richmond BC. In Spring of 2015 we started the new Junior wind division as a chamber group, and it has grown to become a concert band program in itself.
In September 2015 we began a new Intermediate String division and will be starting a new beginning string class in January 2016.
Our Orchestral Divisions
Rehearsal time: Saturdays 9:30am – 12 noon. Music Director – Stephen Robb.
Rehearsal time: Saturdays 12:30pm – 2:00 pm
Our Mission and Purpose
- To encourage young musicians to learn more about themselves through their music.
- To provide a high quality of musical training in orchestral and ensemble settings.
- To provide all members equal benefits and opportunities to develop musically.
- To provide a graduated program that increases musical expectations from pre junior to senior levels.
- To provide a balanced musical education as a member of an orchestra, chamber ensemble, or soloist.
- To promote an understanding of orchestral music in our communities.